THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Friday, May 29, 2009

FAVORITES FOR EVERYONE


by Pat Aebli at The Gulbransen Premiere Organ


AEBLI RECORDS
LPS 5331
1970s?
STEREO


THESE ARE ALL OLD FAVORITES THAT EVERYONE KNOWS EXCEPT, "AZUL". THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL LATIN NUMBER WRITTEN BY AGUSTIN LARA, A GREAT MEXICAN COMPOSER. WATCH FOR MORE OF HIS WORKS IN FUTURE ALBUMS.

THIS TAPE WAS RECORDED AT MASTERSOUND OF SAN ANTONIO IN SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS. THE RECORDS WERE PRESSED AT WAKEFIELD RECORDING STUDIOS IN PHOENIX, ARIZONA. MR. AEBLI MAINTAINS A PIANO AND ORGAN STUDIO AT 7070 SAN PEDRO IN SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS.





SIDE A:



MY SILENT LOVE 3:24
SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES 2:45
SATIN DOLL 1:56
PETTICOATS OF PORTUGAL 2:16
MISTY 3:56
MY HEART AND THEY SWEET VOICE

download


SIDE B:



AZUL 2:42
MOONGLOW 2:36
TRY A LITTLE TENDERNESS 3:26
IF I HAD YOU 2:10
HARBOR LIGHTS 4:05
TO LOVE AGAIN 4:07

download



Editor's note: truly an obscurity in the sense that there is only one small snippet about Mr. Aebli on a site devoted to organ music and not a mention of this LP anywhere on the internet. I like both the cover and the music on this one. Organ music and especially electrified organ music does it for me. As for the amusing secret between the lovely young lady and Mr. Aebli: it will never be known but it will now be speculated on by all three of us reading this gibberish. Not that I'm trying to make this a scandalous assumption since this could be his daughter or granddaughter--because I'm not--but they are surely amused by something. Don't you agree?

7 comments:

James said...

i believe I can shed some insight on the Pat Aebli album you have on your site. That is actually Pat and his daughter on the cover. I was a student of his daughter back in the 1970s. Pat, if I am not mistaken at one time played with Lawrence Welk before moving to San Antonio.

R. O. said...

Thanks for that note. At some point I will have the music back up for this album. I lost most of my mp3s thanks to a provider's mass deletion! In time, in time.

John said...

Glad to see this excellent recording on your site! The Gulbransen Premiere sounds just as good or better than the company's finest Rialto in this album, and with the addition of a real double bass player and percussionist (not credited) this recording goes much further in providing some good, listenable music of the day. The Tibia section of the Gulbransen can really wail and leaves the listener with a melancholy trip back to the golden era of the home and night club market that these organs enjoyed! --John McCall

R. O. said...

I think I'll pull this one out today and get it re-recorded. Thanks for the comment!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just came across this site and thought I would shed some light. I have the same album that Pat Aebli gave me when I was a student at his studio under his wife, Lorraine. The girl on the cover is Terri, his daughter. Pat did play with Lawrence Welk in earlier years and was instrumental in promoting the Thomas organ on the show. In fact, he was the sole dealer of Thomas in San Antonio. Hope this info helps.

R. O. Glockenspiel said...

Thanks for the info!

paulrjacobs said...

A very groovy record from the Welk Show's Hammond organ player ( Bob Ralston was more recognized as the Thomas Organ Co.'s promoter on the show following Pat's reign as Lawrence's head organist). Nobody could flow a glissando trough a melody like Pat Aebli and work the swell just right. I imagine Pat taught Bob Ralston a thing or two about the magic of the electronic theater organ.