THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Sunday, July 26, 2009

GOD ISN'T DEAD!


by Gertrude Behanna


WORD RECORDS
W-3179-LP
1952
MONO


SIDE A



download


SIDE B



download



Editor's note: nevermind the few skips at the beginning of this record because it's merely about the show and shock value. The problem is that it's not so shocking at all. Nonetheless, a syringe, a born-again Christian and a billboard stating that GOD ISN'T DEAD is a perfect antidote for a lazy and boring Sunday afternoon. She is truly the anti-Nietzsche though her smoked-stained voice may have been higher than the ubermensch's. Within 5 minutes she states and I mis-quote, "No woman of any age wants to be called wholesome". Haha. Well, there it is in a nutshell. Seeing as this record was released in 1952 and Gertie was 53 when she discovered that the lord wasn't dead and 68 when this record was recorded, her doping and boozing dates to the early 1900s and women in that time just weren't THAT WAY. Or were they? Who knows but this is a can't-miss record for the weirdo in all of us. Thank you Lucile Bradley for relinquishing this gem.

2 comments:

Culture Of None said...

this one I'd found in Detroit back when there were still Value "Village" stores...and it made me a testimony/sermon LP fanatic. The best selection of vintage WORD vinyl I've yet seen was at the All Star Books shop at 8½ mile & Van Dyke (Warren, MI). They had (in 1995 mind you) what seemed like EVERY title, especially the more purid prostitute/drug-use/occult testimonies. I don't know if All Star is still open, but if there's any gawd in heaven, they hopefully still have all those boxes of LPs hidden under mounds of comic books, paperbacks, &'70s Playboy mags.

R. O. said...

VALUE VILLAGE! I remember them quite fondly. I didn't go to them for a good few months and then suddenly they were VALUE WORLD. What kind of shit is that? It takes a village to find a bunch of shit records not a world!

I used to go to Record Collector on 8 Mile in Livonia and then when it moved to Ferndale but I'm way too cheap to spend the money most collectors want for these kind of records. Actually, nowadays I won't spend more than a dollar on a thrift store record unless it is a really hard to find one that I have been searching for. I get most of these featured records for a quarter or 50c.