THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Friday, July 31, 2009

PIED PIPER PIZZA PEDDLER PRESENTS: MUSIC MAN

PIED PIPER PIZZA PEDDLER front cover
featuring Karl Cole on the Mighty Wurlitzer


PIED PIPER PIZZA PEDDLER
P4-102
Circa late 1970s/early 1980s


PIED PIPER PIZZA PEDDLER label


SIDE A:



SEVENTY-SIX TROMBONES
TOMORROW
FIVE FOOT TWO - PLEASE DON'T TALK ABOUT ME
HAWAIIAN WEDDING SONG
NEW YORK, NEW YORK
ROARING TWENTIES MEDLEY

download


SIDE B:



IT'S A SMALL WORLD
MOONLIGHT SERENADE
I DON'T WANT TO WALK WITHOUT YOU BABY
THE STRIPPER
LOVE SONGS MEDLEY
SAINT LOUIS BLUES MARCH

download

PIED PIPER PIZZA PEDDLER back cover

Editor's note: I can't believe that pizza parlor circuits existed! Especially in 1980. Man, I wish I would have been old enough to be aware of such things, especially in the Detroit area. Anyhow, the record will have to suffice. A signed copy to boot.

I also tracked down Mr. Cole. He's still available for booking! Here's what he had to say about Pied Piper Pizza Peddler:

It is I!!!! The restaurant was in Warren, Michigan at the Universal Mall. The organ was from Detroit's United Artist Theater. The restaurant was a former gym and the organ pit was part of the bath. Good times were had by all. I was there for 2 years then moved on to Cincinnati. Find more information at: KarlColeConcertsandRecordings.com Thanks for remembering!!!!!! Karl Cole

Another organist who played at Pied Piper was Lance Luce (see picture below at P.P.P.P.). His website states that he was organist there for three years. Mr. Luce, like Karl Cole, is well-traveled (as apparently many organists are!) and has performed at many prestigious locales. He also has played at the beautifully restored Redford Theatre in Detroit which features not only organ concerts but old movies accompanied by live music! Yay. I think I'll have to check out the Planet of the Apes or the Three Stooges Halloween Festival there. It's only $5. Can't beat that.


UPDATE: DECEMBER 8, 2009

It looks like Luce also put out one album under the franchise's name! Exciting, huh? It must have been exciting to somebody because it sold for $9.99 on eBay from Canada of all places. Not that Canada is soooo far from Detroit but...all right so it's not that unexpected or exotic as say Korea but you'd expect Southfield or Westland or something local!

I'll eventually come across it at some thrift store and post it here for you fops and dandies.


UPDATE: DECEMEBR 19, 2010


There's now a Facebook page for the restaurant itself but featuring Lance Luce. I don't know if there was a falling out between the organists and I don't really care either! There are some great photos of the place with Luce at the giant Wurlitzer.

I also found a newspaper article mentioning the restaurant as host for a singles club. Enjoy.

Phase I at the Pied Piper Pizza Peddlar

6 comments:

Misty said...

Do you know what actually happened to the place? Why did they close down?

R. O. said...

Nope, no clue. :(

Anonymous said...

The place was mismanaged and petty arguments between the owners is what I heard. Danny Holley

Anonymous said...

The place was mis-managed and petty arguments between the owners is what I heard. Danny Holley

Anonymous said...

It isn't surpirsing that the record sold to a Canadian. After PPPP closed he was at the Organ Grinder in Toronto for a few years. I was at PPPP before opening night. We bought a Rodgers organ at our Church and I was organ committee chairman. The PPPP owners were the local Rodgers dealers.

kwgeralds@gmail.com said...

I have a Pied Piper Pizza Peddler Presents Lance Luce Live if youre interested in buying it