THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Sunday, January 24, 2010

HYMNS HOT AND CAROLS COOL


by the Vanguard Singers


PROCLOMATION PRODUCTIONS
144234
early 1970s
STEREO





SIDE A:



Gloria Patri
Here We Go A-Caroling
Hey, Hey, Anybody Listening
Little Baby Boy
Put Down Your Guns and Listen!
Mary Mary
Take Time
Hosanna, Hallelujah
I Wonder Why
The Rebel

download


SIDE B:



Christ the Lord is Risen
If There is a Holy Spirit
Jesus, White Boy
Love, O Love
It Was Me
When I'm Feeling Lonely
What Makes the Wind Blow
Thank You, Thank You
Doxology

download



Editor's note: I found this record in Elizabethtown, Kentucky for a quarter and it was worth every cent. Mainly for the album name, cool cover and a few songs, namely "Jesus White Boy" and "Take Time" which the folks over at Waxidermy have isolated for your listening pleasure. Plus it fills my quota for religious records which I tend to enjoy despite my lower-case atheist ways. More a mish-mash of a broken up musical, various holiday songs and a few straight up Christian lyrics given musical accompaniment.

A good article on the Church record mania of the 1970s into the 1980s by Carl Schalk, which happens to mention this record and its creators Richard Avery and Donald Marsh, can be found here.









4 comments:

Andra Moran said...

This is music from my childhood, and has been influential in my own work as a working songwriter in Nashville.

I've been looking for recordings of these songs for a long time. Thanks for posting! Do you know anyplace these are available for sale or sharing?

Thanks,
Andra Moran
andramoran.com

R. O. Glockenspiel said...

I'm not sure if you are looking for this on vinyl or other media but I think it's only available on vinyl. Anyhow, on last check gemm.com had a copy.

Connie Brown said...

Thanks so much for these songs; I also have been looking for them in this format. I have the vinyl but have no expertise in turning them into MP3s so appreciate your doing it! I am of that generation (age 66) who purchased their records and I was privileged to participate in an Avery & Marsh workshop. It is still great music with a message.

Thanks again!
Connie Brown, Iowa

Anonymous said...

I can never thank you enough!!!

We plan to use a great many of these with our Children's Choirs at church, and recordings are VERY helpful with them. I am fortunate to live near a great church music library at Southern Baptist Seminary, and have found all of the A&M books there. (Some are occasionally available used on Ebay etc., at fairly high prices.)

RBH - Minister of Music in Southern IN