THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Sunday, January 31, 2010

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR: THE SOUL VERSION


with Sammy Turner, Sam Taylor Jr., Jaye Kennedy, J. D. Bryant & The Soultown Singers


SUPER MAJESTIC RECORDS
SBBH 1610
1973
STEREO





SIDE A:



Overture
Jesus Christ Superstar- Sammy Turner
Simon Zealotes - J. D. Bryant
What's the Buzz? - Sammy Turner
Heaven on Their Minds - Sam Taylor, Jr.
Hosanna - Soultown Singers

download


SIDE B:



Everything's All Right - Jaye Kennedy
Jesus Christ Superstar - Sam Taylor, Jr.
I Don't Know How To Love Him - Jaye Kennedy
The Last Supper - J. D. Bryant
Gethsemane - Sammy Turner
The Crucifixion - Sammy Turner

download



Editor's note: coming from a truly ignorant stance on the musical since I've never seen/heard it, I thought, the soul version will be much better. GD right it is! I finally decided to listen to parts of the original right before typing this, knowing all too well that it would be gawd-awful and it is. Cheesy, though not very blasphemous except in a few parts, and very contrived sounding. Like you were trying to offend in an offhanded way by pretending to be one thing while hiding the Judas side of your act in check. The soul version is the TRUE version, brothers and sisters! It rocks. It titillates. It moves you to seek out the ceiling. It makes your foot twitch even after you're done dancing. I knew this was a winner when I found it down in Nashville in a Goodwill store covered in dust. The lady at the register said, "I bet this is worth some money." "I doubt it." I said, "I'll be happy if just plays." Man, oh man, does it!

1 comment:

Bryan Jackson said...

i am, on the other hand, a HUGE fan of musicals in general, with a huge emphasis on anything falling under the rock opera umbrella. jesus, give me some fuzz and 70's soft rock candlelight to blitz out to.
and i love jesus christ superstar, but damn, this album is just incredible, particularly everything's alright, and i don't know how to love him.
i had a copy a while back, but it, not surprisingly, has disappeared.
SEARING.