THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Saturday, January 23, 2010

STANKY AND HIS PENNSYLVANIA COAL MINERS



STELLA RECORDS
S-LP-949
1960s
STEREO





SIDE A:



PIJAK'S LAMENT
CALL ME A DOCTOR
COMING HOME
APPLES, PEACHES, PUMPKIN PIE
WHO LIKES PIEROGI
BY OUR WINDOW

download


SIDE B:



NA LEFT, NA RIGHT
PILOT OBEREK
MY SWEETHEART
GORAL POLKA
OJ NASZA KASIA
KU KU BIRD CZARDAS

download



Editor's note: I think Stanky and the Boys and other such polka bands prove one thing: that Polish guys just love to scream and get drunk. If you've ever lived with a Polish woman you know damn well why this is so. So, why does a people so hell-bent on being miserable sing such hearty songs? One word: KIELBASA!




5 comments:

caseypd63 said...

I listened to the entire album....twice. Stanky rocks! This was a great find.

R. O. said...

How can a guy named Stanky do anything NOT GOOD?!?!?

R said...

Funny, I actually already had this album from my grandparents, and it's indeed great. The band uses a lead violin player- quite odd for a polka band, and gives them a really nice and unique sound. The pounding bass piano too... just great. The song "Apples Peaches Pumpkin Pie" was a huge hit for them back in the 60s.

aHon said...

I have this record but my copy is in bad shape. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

I just pulled out a copy of this record and my label is pink instead of blue. Multiple pressings. Fantastic.