THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Monday, February 15, 2010

INSTRUMENTS OF THE ORCHESTRA


directed by Mitch Miller


GOLDEN RECORDS
FF737
1950s/60s





SIDE A:



ANTIONETTE THE CLARINET
LUCY LYNN THE VIOLIN

download




SIDE B:



CRUMPET THE TRUMPET
PETER PERCUSSION

download



Editor's note: a very quick introduction I might add! The "Lucy Lynn" segment even seems to have been edited (fairly poorly) as you will hear if you listen for the entire minute and a half of the first side. The shortness of the record leads me to believe that this was part of a series since there are obviously more than 4 instruments in most orchestras. Anyhow, nicely sung, played and educational to boot! I especially like the old Crowley's price sticker on the sleeve.

3 comments:

trobert said...

Yes, the original was an LP with the same graphics on the front cover. The record concludes with the entire orchestra playing the parts heard individually earlier in the recording. I listened to it endlessly as a child, and would use it for my grandchildren if I found a copy. Very well done.

Cambria Planning Group said...

Thank you. While I had the full LP, rather than the collection of 45s, the album made a strong enough impression that I can still hum crumpet the trumpet 50 years later. I had forgotten most of the words, so it was nice to be able to hear the music again. The album was a good introduction to the orchestra to a kid living in north central Montana, far removed from places where symphonies were common. (mhdorsett)

Brian Phillips said...

I have the full LP as well. I don't have it at hand right now, but I can tell you that the Peter Percussion song is longer on the LP. Peter mentions various instruments as they are played. PP was my favorite song.