THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Friday, March 19, 2010

THE GEORGIA QUACKERJACK


by Gerald Smith


MARK FIVE RECORDS
GS-6155
1985
STEREO





SIDE A:



THE GEORGIA QUACKERJACK 2:51
DEAR MR. SHEARS AND DEAR MR. REARBACK 2:31
FOGGY MOUNTAIN QUACKDOWN 2:24
YOU NEED MORE 3:16
I'M SO TIRED 2:08

download


SIDE B:



LORD LOVE A DUCK 2:08
WHEN THE FIRST FROST HIT THE COLLARDS 2:15
CRIPPLE CREEK 2:11
AS LONG AS THERE'S A FLICKER 3:07
AIN'T IT DUCKY 2:43

download



Editor's note: Gerald Smith is a madman! And a pretty good musician as well. With every other song about ducks or love you'd have to think that he was a conflicted man. Should he loves ducks or women? Why must a man choose between two such passions? Anyhow, the duck songs all feature some homemade sounding artificial duck quack (it doesn't sound like any duck caller that I've heard; which would be about 2 total!) that seems to be a country boy's attempt at rappin'. I kinda like the novelty of it. Maybe I'l get me some duck lips to make the experience even more real.

2 comments:

Doug McManaman said...

When I was 18 (in 1979), I hitchhiked to Nashville with my banjo, stayed at the KOA campground near Opryland, and I met and played with Gerald. I have a picture of us somewhere. We played for a lot of the campers and a girl scouts, etc.
Doug McManaman (1980 Canadian National Banjo Champion).

Anonymous said...

Long live Shorty and the Pea Pickers.