THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

MARCIA BERMAN SINGS MALVINA REYNOLDS' RABBITS DANCE AND OTHER SONGS FOR CHILDREN




B/B RECORDS
B/B 112
1985
STEREO





SIDE A:



I Live In A City 2:30
Johnny Built A House 2:08
Place To Be 2:06
You Can't Make A Turtle Come Out 1:38
Artichokes 1:05
Eight Candles 2:20
Jenny Fell Down 1:22
Morningtown Ride 2:31

download






SIDE B:



Magic Penny 2:48
Move Over 1:06
Rabbits Dance 2:10
In The Dancing 3:00
Mommy's Girl 1:42
In Bethlehem 2:50
The Pets 1:40

download



Editor's note: some of these songs are great for children but others are just plain odd selections. I mean nothing excites a kindergarten class like a song about Jesus and Hanukkah! Also, a few of the songs sing too pensive for such young children and almost depressing. Maybe us adults have become as soft as the kids of today because I think that these songs would be effective with 4 year olds and not much older than that. Maybe I should try it out with my 2 1/2 year old before making any proclamations. Bah, what fun would that be?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much! I've been trying to find a digital version of this forever. My parents used to play the cassette tape over and over for us when we were younger and I had thought we'd lost it forever.

R. O. said...

Glad you found it! Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks from me as well! I've been looking for this for a long time--we played it to our kids. Indeed, it's the only recording I've found of some of Malvina Reynolds' songs. I wish that it'd be re-released on CD or put onto iTunes. I'd buy a copy in a heartbeat.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments. I just shared them with my mom - Marcia Berman! She said that she has a few albums that are no longer available since she produced them herself. Some of the others are availabe on amazon. They are meant for younger kids.

R. O. Glockenspiel said...

I'm sure that I'll come across them at some point in my thrift store travels. Thanks for checking in and telling your mom about the posting!

Lara at Twiceblessedlife.com said...

Waaaay back when I was a little girl, I watched "The Magic Garden" on tv, and loved Carol & Paula's cover of "Johnny Built A House" by Malvina Reynolds.

Flash forward a few decades and I just got the "Magic Garden" dvd that was recently released and was thrilled that that song was on there! I looked up the lyrics and saw who had written it, and tried to find a digital version on amazon.com but no dice.

Then I found your site on google and I'm so grateful to have a digital version of this song. The lyrics really touched something in side me. I always wanted a house like the one described in the song, it sounded heavenly!

Thank you for making this available!

the said...

Glad you found it Lara.