THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Sunday, March 21, 2010

ONLY JESUS


by Jimmy Blackwood


UPWARD PRODUCTIONS
UP-70232
1984





SIDE A:



HE IS THE KING
I WILL LIFT YOU THERE
A PERFECT HEART
NO OTHER NAME BUT JESUS

download


SIDE B:



IN THIS VERY ROOM
HE IS WORTHY
WE SHALL BEHOLD HIM
ONLY JESUS

download



Editor's note: I don't know if it's the studio makeup for the picture shoot or what but Jimmy doesn't look well here. Then again when you go back and watch older movies it's surprising how bad they look in relation to today's technology. Well, I did a google search on him and he was beating cancer around this time so it's no wonder he looks ill! He's still kicking around too and preaching the word! While this album won't beat cancer it will lift your spirits if you're into the gospel.

4 comments:

Dave said...

On another note. Jimmy is the son of James Blackwood of the famous Blackwood Brothers Quartet. I didn't know that he had cancer as well. He makes regular appearances on the Gaither Homecoming shows. Seems many of the older Gospel Artists (and some young ones too) are dying of cancer now days.

R. O. said...

Yeah, I read somewhere that he was a member of the famous quartet but the problem is that I have no ideal who they are! My laziness far exceeds my research capabilities.

Dave said...

They were the number one gospel quartet in the 50's, 60s and 70's. James, Sr. just died recently from Cancer. The Blackwoods started out as 3 actual Brothers and a bass singer. About the time they hit it big the oldest brother died, and then their orginal bass either left or died. That is when J. D. Sumner joined. You may have heard of him as the leader of the Stamps Quartet that backed up Elvis after his comeback. He holds the world record as the lowest Bass singer in the world.

Anyway you can hear a Christmas LP that they did by going HERE and HERE. I know of the Blackwood Brothers because I was raised with my Dad listening to their music a lot.

Dave

R. O. said...

"Gospel Quartet" explains much of my ignorance on the topic. Thanks for the info.