THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Friday, April 16, 2010

BEST OF THE OLDIES!


by The Big Ben Banjo Band


TOWER RECORDS
DT 5112
1968
STEREO





SIDE A:



I'M LOOKING OVER A FOUR LEAF-CLOVER 2:30
JAPANESE SANDMAN 2:10
BYE-BYE BLACKBIRD 2:25
SWANEE 3:00
PEG O' MY HEART 3:05

download


SIDE B:



ALABAMY BOUND 2:25
CHCICAGO 2:35
AT SUNDOWN 2:40
HOW HIGH THE MOON 2:10
TEMPTATION RAG 1:50

download



Editor's note: lots of quirky accompaniments on this record that work perfectly but especially the whistling churns out a most glorious sound. I don't really know what Dixieland means but this sounds like a parade in N'Orleans to me. Of course the ideal of N.O. and a parade does nothing for me so I'm just shooting from the hip of a leg that's long ago giving up on the thought of dancing. My brain is doing a jig nonetheless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as someone who frequents estate sales (probably too often) and will purchase any record that involves zithers, bagpipes, bird sounds, or guitar instrumentals, or anything on folkways, i truly appreciate the work you put into this blog. thank you.

pgw

R. O. said...

It's the good kind of work though, isn't it? I wish I could spend 8 hours a day working on it but it's just not possible! Glad you enjoy it and may you/I find another bird record in the near future (I actually think I have one in the garage somewhere!).