THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Friday, April 09, 2010

VAUDEVILLE: SONGS OF THE GREAT LADIES OF THE MUSICAL STAGE


with Joan Morris: mezzo-soprano and William Bolcom: piano


NONESUCH RECORDS
H-71330
1976
STEREO





SIDE A:



I Don't Care
I Just Can't Make My Eyes Behave
Shine On, Harvest Moon
The Bird on Nellie's Hat
When You Were Sweet Sixteen
The Yama-Yama Man
Yip-I-Addy-I-Ay
My Castle on the Nile

download


SIDE B:



May Irwin's "Frog" Song
Let the Rest of the World Go By
In the Baggage Coach Ahead
Poor John!
I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now
Pine Apple Rag
Smiles

download



Editor's note: let me start with a quote:
"If all you see is violence
Then I make a plea-yeah-in their defense
Don't you know they speak vaudevillian?
And for what it is hear what my theory is
Some gibberish it is so serious
What we need is more silly men"
-Frank Black from "Two Reelers"

And with that I introduce you to the silly songs of the Vaudevillian women singers. Which proves that some gibberish isn't sooo serious. I guess that without internet, decent transportation or television people got pretty bored and enjoyed this sort of thing. Minus booze from the equation and add a World War as well and I'm fairly certain that America lost its mind at this point in time. The evidence is quite clear for you to hear.

2 comments:

Joshua said...

You're amazing! I have been looking for vaudeville music like crazy. Thank you so much.

R. O. said...

See, I knew you were looking for it.