THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Sunday, May 23, 2010

FAVORITE SACRED SELECTIONS


by Gerald Barkey The Singing Policeman


BARKEY RECORDS
BLP-501
1950s?





SIDE A:



I Walked Today Where Jesus Walked
Holy City
Down From His Glory
I'm Not Worthy
A Name I Highly Treasure
How Great Thou Art

download


SIDE B:



Ship A'Hoy
My Father Watches Over Me
Ten Thousand Angels
Follow Me
Until Then
The Lord's Prayer

download



Editor's note: despite the rough playback and a few clusters of skips in spots this record comes across pretty decently, religiously and homespun. A few of the tracks have higher noise levels because I had to re-record them with weights to get through the song without heavy skips. Other tracks weren't so successful as you'll witness about halfway through each side. Anyhow, this appears to be a pretty scarce recording and no information is to be had on the authors. There is a mention of a Gerald A. Barkey (yes, without an L) in the Detroit metro area which could portend to a relation of the Singing Policeman so maybe he will come along and find this posting and shed a little light on a possible connection. If not we have the only singing policeman to date on this blog.

5 comments:

Jeff said...

This is my grandfather who passed away a few years back. He lived in Wyandotte, MI as well as Detroit. This was his only record as far as I know, but he sang until God called him home. My dad has the tin template for this albumn and the award mentioned in the article above.

R. O. Glockenspiel said...

Jeff, I'm glad you found this site and your grandfather's records. Feel free to add anything else you feel like making public.

Brianbee said...

I am Brian Barkey, Gerald's second son. Gerald past away in Florida at the age of 80, in November of 2001. This album was made at a studio in Detroit in 1964. I possess the masters (front and back plates). My father was on the Wyandotte police department in the 1950's. Live and in person my father had a beautiful voice. He has been on television and radio before he made this album. He loved to sing - any time, anywhere as the family will attest.

Pasquinel said...

http://www.habat.net/-barkey-gerald-a.html

Paul Light said...

I have two copies of this record in good condition, I believe one of them is signed by him. I don't know what his signature looks like, but , his name is written on the back fairly large with john 3-16 written below it. I can't think of why this would exist there unless it was his signature.