THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A GRADUATION ADDRESS


by Francis Colburn


DROLL YANKEES INC.
DY-11
1977
MONO





SIDE A:



download


SIDE B:



download

Editor's note: there are many interesting looking records from the Droll Yankees catalog and this one is included. Interesting but not particularly funny. At least not to me. You may think otherwise pahdna. Anyhow, it's that time of the season so I'm sure that somebody is searching for this. It's all yours now, skips and all.

3 comments:

David said...

I was introduced to this by my father, a native of the Northeast Kingdom, and the punchlines have become part of my lexicon because, although I was not born there, I grew up there and they perfectly capture the droll humor of old time Vermont.

WLDRNEST said...

This Colburn recording is one of the best. Give it a chance as it starts off slow, but builds momentum as Colburn populates the room with an interesting cast characters. My grandfather, a long time Vermont politician loved and was inspired by Colburn's slightly askew stories of rural Vermont life. His wonderful droll accent and laconic style capture a rare moment in New England life.

Anonymous said...

Francis Colburn was the artist in residence at UVM when I went there in the early 1960s.We all loved him and could quote his recordings.I introduced my NJ husband to the Graduation Address and he often says "My horse is still under me."