THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

WHY MOSQUITOES BUZZ IN PEOPLE'S EARS


A West African Tale retold by Verna Aardema
read by Pearl Primus; music by George Broderick

SCHOLASTIC RECORDS
SCC 2789
1976



SIDE A:



download



SIDE B:



download



Editor's note: I pushed this one back so that I could fit in a Memorial Day themed record which I found last Friday and figured it was an omen that I should happen across it at the last moment.

I'm glad that I'm learning all the classic children's stories of my youth as an old grizzled bastard. When I should have been listening to more of these I was catching baseball games on the radio/TV, reading baseball books or playing Start-O-Matic with in detail stats. Baseball baseball baseball. I'll be sure to even out that platform with the time I spend with my little one.

7 comments:

N. said...

Thank you for posting this! I've been looking for it and I'm glad it's somewhere. I used to have this story as a cassette back in the late 80s/early 90s, and I was glad to hear it again! Something about this story terrified me and I just had to figure out why. I think it was the music playing as the sun was coming up. Children are strange. Either way, the story iis amazing. Thanks again!

Zane R Chesivoir said...

Hey could you please this record on YouTube? If you can do that, that would be great! Thank you very much!

Zane R Chesivoir said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Thanks for sharing this. I used to listen to this on cassette as a child. My father shared your blog with me a couple years ago. I wanted to listen to it with my daughter now that she loves the book, but I can't seem to play it or download it. I've tried from a couple different browsers on different computers with no luck. Can you help? I'd love to listen to it again with her.

the said...

The link is dead and I cannot find the file to re-up it.

the said...

Just found it. Try again.

Zane R Chesivoir said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE RE-UPLOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!