THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Saturday, July 17, 2010

THE MANCHESTER ANGEL


by Ewan MacColl w/ Peggy Seeger guitar, dulcimer and concertina


TRADITION RECORDS
TR 2059
1968
STEREO





SIDE A:



We Poor Labouring Men
Georgie
Barbara Allen
Sheepcrook and Black Dog
The Bramble Briar
One Night as I Lay on My Bed
The Grey Cock

download


SIDE B:



To The Begging I Will Go
The Sheep-Stealer/I Am a Brisk Lad
The Manchester Angel
The Bold Richard
The Press Gang
Round Cape Horn
Through Moorfields
Homeward Bound

download



Editor's note: didn't Nietzsche say that the only thing more boring than an Englishman is another Englishman? If not, he should have. This record is so dreary in parts that I almost forgot that I am sweating through a hot Michigan summer and not living near a moat in the foggy cool English countryside. I'm not a big fan of folk music because I mostly hate story poem songs but this guy is good at what he does. Saying that I don't like it is no crime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing is Ewan MacColl is not an Englishman, he's Scottish. And you better remember that, because a Scotsman doesn't like being called an Englishman.

Austral Alien

R. O. said...

Ah- I usually just call them Aussies. Of course, even the Aussies are offended if you call them an Aussie.