THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Friday, November 12, 2010

CHET BOGAN'S WOLVERINE JASS BAND

Picture0057
featuring Dixiebelle


BICUSPID RECORDS
8063N6B
1978
STEREO


11


SIDE A:



COPENHAGEN
MESSIN' AROUND
TIN ROOF BLUES
BUTTER AND EGG MAN
WHEN THE SAINTS

download


SIDE B:



EMMET COUNTY RAG
SEE YOUR MAMA
MOOCHE
OH DADDY
WOLVERINE BLUES

download

Picture0058

Editor's note: at first I thought these guys were somehow affiliated with the Michigan Wolverines football team but now I don't think that's what the name implies at all. Nope, they're going by the state moniker and that's fine with me because during the Dick Rod era and even while the team is 6-3 it seems like a huge failure just the same. I won't muddle this post with sports talk but will say that this is pretty straight-forward Dixieland type jazz. The addition of Dixiebelle on vocals, especially during the rather scrumptious "Butter and Egg Man", really makes the music sing better than it does on its lonesome for those of us not so inclined toward the genre.

3 comments:

Baron said...

Thanks for the unusual Dixieland lp ... Baron

the said...

Yessum!

Ian Sklar said...

I used to see them perform live when I was a kid. Chet was a dentist by trade! The addition of Dixiebelle was the icing on the already perfect cake. I miss those days.