THE SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH GOOGLE CHROME AND A MONOCLE

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

JOHNNY PINEAPPLE & CO. FROM HAWAII

CIMG9594


PICKWICK RECORDS
DCF-1034
1965
STEREO


CIMG9631


SIDE A:



PARADISE ISLE 3:25
HILO MARCH 2:14
MY HAWAIIAN KULA LA NI 3:34
NA KA PUEO 3:05
I HEAR HAWAII CALLING 3:33

download


SIDE B:



PRETTY MERMAID OF THE SOUTHERN SEA 4:26
MAUI CHANT 3:38
ALOHA OE E KUU LEI 3:08
MY TANE 5:20

download

CIMG9595

Editor's note: as much as I hate repetition of uninteresting things, in the case of this record I think that I prefer it. While SIDE A has a strictly and distinctive Hawaiian sound to it, SIDE B veers off into a jazz-Aloha amalgamation that leaves me cold. In fact, almost freezing to death because neither style is to my liking but if I had to choose one I'd go with the exotic tropical island sound and the weird combination of the two just doesn't work for me on any level. Don't get me wrong because Johnny can play it's just that his bird doesn't perform well for me. Plus the excessive stereo heavy left speaker makes me want to rage. However, I do like the female singing on the last track.

No comments: